Broccoli Side dish: Sure to be a Picnic Hit!
Everybody loves a great summer cookout, especially in Michigan! I always say that my favorite thing about Michigan is the four seasons, this is important as our seasons revolve around food! As a foodie this NEVER a bad thing.. This broccoli salad is one of my favorite lunch sides and picnic go-to.
Our winters are full of crock pot meals and comfort foods while the summer is all about bonfires, grilling, and cookouts. Over the past years I have taken recipes and ideas from others and fit them to my own clean eating needs.
Now I’m sure a lot of people think broccoli and say, yep! No Thank you! In the past I may have been one of them, especially with broccoli until I started making this salad. It packs a ton of flavor and keeps well in the refridgerator for meal prep.
The recipe is quick and easy depending if you want to cook bacon or use natural bacon bits.
Not many ingredients are needed to get started:
- One head of broccoli
- Cheddar Cheese: shredded or block cheese that you grade
- Small Red Onion
- Bacon: Feel free to cook bacon, in a hurry I use the Natural Bacon bits. (Fresh cooked bacon has TONS more flavor)
- Dressing Ingredients:
- White Wine Vinegar
- Salt/Pepper/Onion Powder/Garlic Powder
Prepare the broccoli:
- Prep, wash and shake of the excess water before putting it in a bowl.
- Break the head into a bowl, keep the stalk as they add great texture to the salad.
- I like to cut the big pieces up with my kitchen shears to make the bites smaller. I find that this helps balance bites in the salad to get flavor from everything vs a big piece of broccoli.
- Dice half of the onion
- Grate the cheese if needed or measure about 1/4-1/2 cup of Cheddar cheese. (Put more or less based on your flavor needs)
- If cooking your own bacon: make sure to cook it crispy so it holds a good crunch after adding the dressing.
- I cook my bacon in the oven @ 400 degrees for about 20 mins turning over half way through
- Once cooked, 4-5 slices or half a cup of bacon into the salad after it has cooled (you don’t want to melt the cheese)
- Add to the bowl
Prepare the dressing:
I LOVE this dressing. It cuts the fat in the mayo down and it has a great tang to it. I use this on my potato salad too!
Mix together in a separate bowl:
- Mayonnaise: 1/2 Cup
- White Wine Vinegar: 1/2 Cup
- Salt/Pepper/Garlic Powder/Onion Powder : 1/2 Tbsp
- 1 Tbsp. of Sugar
- Add the dressing over the salad and mix well.
Mix and refrigerate.
Once you mix all the ingredients well, I like to let the salad chill and settle the flavors in.
Most often if I meal prep the salad I eat about a cup per serving. I store the salad in my large glass Pyrex and eat the salad with dinner or my lunches.
The salad holds up well at picnics and I rarely bring any left overs home.
Enjoy and share!
What are some of your favorite dishes?!?