Simple, Easy, flavor packed wings!
Ok, so quick confession… I LOVE CHICKEN WINGS! Eating Paleo then moving to counting my macros, fried restaurant chicken in any form is not my friend. Even if they are so good!
While on a clean eating regimen (I don’t diet! I eat to fit my health needs), my sister and I craved chicken wings so eating out was definitely out of the question.
Baking chicken wings at home has ton of flavor but lacks that good crispy bite you want. So how do you get them CRISPY with a ton a flavor?!? Read on my friends!
There is a simple trick, foil (avoid the mess!), a baking rack, and a baking sheet… It’s that simple!
What type of chicken can I use?
Based on your eating needs you can use really any type of chicken wing. I use the raw three joint pack (contains the flapper, wing, and drum) and just butcher them myself. There are two reasons why I buy these:
- They cost less because you have to butcher chicken apart yourself.
- They are they only raw and never frozen I can find. NOTE: You can always use frozen wings, I just recommend to thaw them first. (Thaw wings hold the seasoning better)
Season the wings for flavor!
Part of my recipes is I do not measure. Everyone have a different flavor profile and may not always like one more than the other. For this recipe you just want a good covering.
All you need to season:
- Salt and Pepper
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Powder
Here is where I like to play with different flavors!
Honey BBQ Wings:
- Mix yellow mustard and honey. Cook at 400 degrees for 20 minutes (raw) 50 (frozen)
- Once the 20 minutes are up, brush or cover with BBQ sauce and cook for another 7 mintues
- There are two ways to cook these depending on the flavor.
- You can use the ranch packet, salt & pepper and Frank’s red hot for buffalo ranch
- Mix yellow mustard, honey, and Franks with the Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Salt & Pepper for a more tangy buffalo sauce.
- Use a 2 Buffalo sauce to 1 mustard/honey ration (make it to your flavor likings!)
Parmesan Garlic Wings
One of my favorites lately have been Parmesan Garlic. I love both Pizza Huts and Buffalo Wild Wings but those are fried and covered in either butter or sauce… Neither which help counting macros.
- Salt and Pepper
- Hidden Valley Ranch Packet (Omit the Garlic and Onion powder since the ranch seasoning has it already)
- Parmesan (Grated Parmesan works best for an even coat)
- Minced Garlic (fresh or jarred is fine) about 1 tbsp. for 12 wings
Cover all of the chicken with the seasonings so you get a fair amount of coverage.
Use a spatula to evenly coat.
Prepare to bake them!
Use foil to cover the bottom of the pan then placing the baking racks on the pan.
Evenly spread the chicken out.
Cook at 400 degrees for 20 minutes if they are raw. If frozen: 50 minutes.
After 20 minutes flip for another 5-7 minutes.
All DONE! Enjoy!
For the parmesan garlic I like to use ranch or BBQ sauce on the side but you can eat them just as is!
What was your favorite version?!?